SCREEN-L Archives

July 2010, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:01:45 -0400
hello all!

Earlier this year I saw a call for papers on machinima, but I can't access it since our server "migrated" to a new one at the University of Rochester. I can't remember the name of the scholar who is editing this volume either. That would be a book needed desperately!

Since I'm studying machinima, am slated to teach it as a film course and I'm making some of my own, I wonder if any of you know of good critical articles in print or on-line that discuss the development and aesthetics of machinima.  It's very hard to find anything that addresses this--hence the need for the volume--and when the cfp came out I was too new to the field. I've found a few on-line pages that discribe its origins in the Quake films and gaming but nothing terribly substantial, much less anything that addresses contemporary art films like Bryn Oh's stunning work: I have Kelland's Machinima: Making Animated movies in 3 Virtual Environments by Kelland et al, which has a practical history (with lots of photos) devoted to mainstream readers. I'm going to order that for my students, but it was written in 2005 when Second Life (a huge source of recent machinima) was barely getting started.  Secrets of Digital Animation by Steven Withrow has five pages devoted to it and, shockingly, Burgess and Green's 2009 book on YouTube doesn't mention it at all.  Most of the material I've found offers "how to" information.  Perhaps this is terra incognita, and the class will obviously be informed by studies of YouTube and its trends, participatory media and culture, amateur film-making and so forth, all of which I would welcome advice about, too.  I've got Jenkin's Convergence Culture which devotes another five pages to machinima (in the margins!), but is a goldmine about other New Media developments.

Anybody out there teaching this?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah Higley
Professor of English