SCREEN-L Archives

June 2010, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:59:11 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum
on Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

This issue features columns from: Mary Beltrán, Carolyn E. Brown,
Charlotte Howell, Ann Johnson, Julia Lesage, Kelli Marshall, Janani
Subramanian

This issue's columns in brief:

?What?s at stake in claims of ?post-racial? media?? by Mary Beltrán
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/whats-at-stake-in-claims-of-post-racial-media/
An examination of the implications of a "post-race" media climate.

?Can Rational Thought Be Entertaining?? by Ann Johnson
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/can-rational-thought-be-entertaining/
A look at reason-based entertainment in television shows Mythbusters
and Bullshit.

?The Revolution is Televised? by Julia Lesage
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/the-revolution-is-televised/
Recent Burmese video footage prompts the question: How do we preserve
and document revolution?

?A Bitter Pill: Nurse Jackie and a Discourse of Discontent? by Janani
Subramanian
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/a-bitter-pill-nurse-jackie/
An exploration of Showtime's Nurse Jackie as another entrant into the
growing group of older female protagonists across both network and
cable programming.

?ABC?s The Middle: Redefining the Working-Class Male? by Kelli Marshall
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/abcs-the-middle-redefining-the-working-class-male/
A consideration of how ABC's The Middle transgresses its working-class
sitcom roots by re-positioning the blue-collar male.

?The Minutemen in the Media: The Rise and Fall of the Populist
Movement? by Carolyn E. Brown
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/the-minutemen-in-the-media/
Analysis of the rise and fall of the border-patrolling Minutemen volunteers.

?The Fantastic, Feminist Religion of Wonderfalls? by Charlotte Howell
http://flowtv.org/2010/06/the-fantastic-feminist-religion-of-wonderfalls/
An analysis of Fox's short-lived Wonderfalls and representations of
feminist religion on television
The Fantastic, Feminist Religion of Wonderfalls

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE (http://flowtv.org/?page_id=2143).

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv
FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates on your news feed by becoming
a fan: www.facebook.com/FlowTV

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff