SCREEN-L Archives

March 2010, Week 4

From:
MR Daniel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:30:08 -0400
 Cathy,

 You can also check out the 80s era collections available for viewing on
www.hulu.com.

 The commercial breaks are retained and still employed for web ads (of
shorter duration than tv ads).

 Good luck!

 MR Daniel, PhD
 Graduate Fellow
 Music Composition
 Princeton University

 On Fri 19/03/10 2:22 AM , "Johnson, Cathy" [log in to unmask] sent:
 Dear All

 As part of research that I'm doing on television and branding, I am
trying to examine the ways in which channel brands have been constructed
in the interstitials flows of broadcast network television in the US, and
how this has changed over the past 30 years or so. I have looked at the
UCLA Film and Television Archive's off-air recordings, but these are
largely taken from 6-7pm and so don't include primetime programmes.

 As a Brit I don't have access to my own collection of old off-air
television programmes, so I was wondering if anyone had any off-air
recordings from primetime network US TV from the mid-1980s onwards which
they might be able to share with me. In particular, I'm interested in the
transitions between programmes and in the ad breaks.

 I'm happy to pay to have copies shipped over to the UK, or it might be
possible to share .avi files (or similar) over the Internet.

 If you think you might be able to help, please email me off list at:
[log in to unmask] [1]. I'm also at SCMS until Sunday - so speak to
me here if you're around.

 Thanks in advance for any help.

 Cathy Johnson
 Senior Lecturer
 Department of Media Arts
 Royal Holloway, University London

 ----
 Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
 podcast:
 http://www.screenlex.org [2]">http://www.screenlex.org

Links:
------