SCREEN-L Archives

January 2010, Week 4

From:
Corinna Tomrley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:13:32 +0000
Hi

I'm writing about the move from Star studies to Celebrity studies - perhaps
an inevitable development in our celebrity-saturated culture. There's
reasons for arguing why it's happened both academically as well as in
everyday life... however I wondered if people doing work in this area are
all calling it celebrity studies? Does anyone still refer to their work as
'Star Studies'? Even though I can think of some argument to say that a
particular article or piece of research is more about the 'star' than about
'celebrity'; I wonder if, as a field, celebrity studies has become an all
encompassing term?

Be great to hear feedback on this, especially if you or anyone you know of
is still using 'star studies'!

Thanks
Corinna
--