SCREEN-L Archives

January 2010, Week 4

From:
Jamie Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:57:44 -0500
For my own research on Stanwyck, Crawford, and June Allyson, Star Studies is the appropriate term because each of these women was an industry in and of themselves. Subsequently, each star needed to be "built" up by an industry and then pushed out into the market place to see if they resonated – hopefully turning into a Star. What makes them Stars (with a capital S) is that they did resonate with audiences, which is of course uncontrollable by studios. A Star has long lasting cultural impact, while a celebrity is more ephemeral - i.e. Tania Harding or Heidi Montag vs. Julia Roberts or Judy Garland.

The new journal Celebrity Studies coming out this year should be helpful in situating this part of film/media studies.

J. Hayes

Georgia State University

Communication Department

Graduate Studies