SCREEN-L Archives

November 2009, Week 2

From:
Janna Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:11:34 -0700
CALL FOR PAPERS

Eleventh Annual Northeast Historic Film Summer Symposium: Filmic
Representations of Indigenous Peoples

Friday, July 23 – Saturday, July 24, 2010

  Scholars, particularly during the last two decades, have sought to
understand cultural representations of Indigenous peoples. In Dressing
in Feathers: The Construction of the Indian in American Culture,
anthropologist Elizabeth Bird explains that when we seek to understand
popular constructions of the Native more clearly, we are then better
able to counter the mythmaking process and transform those
representations. The 2010 Northeast Historic Film Summer Symposium
will explore how amateur and noncommercial filmmakers around the world
have created a wide range of representations regarding Indigenous
peoples and cultures. We are interested in presentations focusing on
interpretations of moving images that will improve our historical,
cultural, global and critical understanding of how filmmakers working
outside of the mainstream have been informed by, contributed to, and
countered popular representations of Indigenous peoples.

  Potential topics include, but are not limited to:

Travel films and their audiences

Defining the Indigenous

Documenting lost languages and practices

Privacy and informed consent

Self-documentation

Indigenous peoples as filmmakers

Issues of the sacred and profane

Native Independent Media

Screening practices

Oral narratives and life histories

Ethnographic films

Control and definition of the image

Repatriation of records

Rights of the “subject”

Ethnomusicology and visual representation

The NHF Summer Symposium is a multi-disciplinary gathering devoted to
the history, theory, and preservation of moving images. NHF is located
in Bucksport, a town of 5,000 on the coast of Maine (for more info on
NHF, please visit: http://www.oldfilm.org). Typically, presentations
are in English, and last 45 minutes, followed by 15 minutes of
discussion. The symposium is open to archivists, artists and scholars
from all disciplines. NHF houses a 125-seat cinema with 35mm, 16mm,
videotape, and DVD projection. We especially encourage presentations
that include interesting moving images.

We prefer e-mail submissions. Please send 250-500 word abstracts
outlining your paper ideas to the symposium organizers at the address
below. We are happy to discuss your presentation ideas with you in
advance of a formal submission. The Symposium Program Committee
(Snowden Becker, Univ. of Texas; Janna Jones, Northern Arizona
University; and Mark Neumann, Northern Arizona University) will begin
reviewing proposals on April 1, 2010.

Please email questions and submissions to [log in to unmask]
Janna Jones
Director, Cinema and Visual Culture Studies
Associate Professor, School of Communication
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, Arizona

http://www.ScreenSite.org