SCREEN-L Archives

October 2009, Week 2

From:
Patricia Aufderheide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 03:19:59 -0400
My book, Documentary Film: A Very Short Introduction, has a very short
section on ethnographic film that might give your student, if read with
the introductory chapters (also very short!) a good handle on what the
problem is. That might be a nice unforbidding overview for a business
student. The bibliography, including direction to worrks by Jay Ruby, the
MacDougalls and Faye Ginsburg, should further direct him.

Pat Aufderheide, Professor and Director
Center for Social Media, School of Communication
American University
3201 New Mexico Av. NW, #330
Washington, DC 20016-8080
www.centerforsocialmedia.org
202-885-2069

"You know, I'm an eternal optimist. That doesn't mean I'm a sap."
--President Barack Obama

"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
10/09/2009 07:42 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [SCREEN-L] query on documentary

It's an older text, but Bill Nichols' IDEOLOGY AND THE IMAGE had a useful
section on ethnographic film and the context of the book as a whole might
be helpful to your student.

Don Larsson
"Only connect!"   --E.M. Forster

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN  56001
Office Phone: 507-389-2368