SCREEN-L Archives

September 2009, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:10:21 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

This issue features columns from Celine Parreņas Shimizu, Mary Celeste
Kearney, Aswin Punathambekar, Kiri Miller and Konrad Ng.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Straitjacket Sex Screens: Mapping Asian/American Men in the Movies"
by Celine Parreņas Shimizu (http://flowtv.org/?p=4310)
How can we rethink suffocating gender binaries surrounding the
representation of Asian American men in popular cinema?

"'Honey, Look What I Found in the Special Features!' or When Mad Men
Pitches Women?s Lib" by Mary Celeste Kearney (http://flowtv.org/?p=4283)
An examination of 'Birth an Independent Woman,' a documentary included
on the 'Mad Men' Season Two DVD, and its implications for the future
of feminist filmmaking and distribution.

"Colombo Calling: Radio Ceylon and Bombay Cinema?s 'National
Audience'" by Aswin Punathambekar (http://flowtv.org/?p=4303)
A brief historical account of the Indian radio program 'Binaca Geet
Mala' and Radio Ceylon?s role in forging a 'national audience' around
the songs and stars of Bombay cinema.

"A Day with the Score-Oriented: Rock Band Tournament Play" by Kiri
Miller (http://flowtv.org/?p=4288)
Observations from a video game tournament considering the qualities of
score-oriented gaming.

"Notes on Film Pedagogy: Infusing Asian Studies into Undergraduate
Curriculum" by Konrad Ng (http://flowtv.org/?p=4293)
A consideration of the potential use for Asian cinema within an Asian
Studies curriculum.

And don't forget our Call For Papers for October's Special Issue:
"Spors Media: Tensions and Transitions" (http://flowtv.org/?p=4275)

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE (http://flowtv.org/?page_id=2143).

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv
FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates by becoming a fan:
www.facebook.com/FlowTV

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org