SCREEN-L Archives

August 2009, Week 3

From:
Prof Steven P Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:51:20 -0500
Dear colleagues:

Apologies for cross-posting.

Twice in short comedy films starring W C Fields a character bears
a long, funny surname beginning with the letters POST-. I've played
and listened carefully to both films:  the surname sounds as if
it is consistently pronounced [ pah ssul whiss ul ].

But there appears to be some disagreement as to how that
surname should be properly WRITTEN in alphabetic characters.

In "Fatal Glass of Beer" (1933),   some data-bases spell the
surname POSTHLEWHISTLE (14 letters). But in "Tales of Manhattan"
(1942;  deleted and restored Fields episode,  which could have
been entitled "The High-Hung Coconut of Kadula-Kadula"),
some data-bases spell the same surname as POSTLEWHISTLE
(13 letters; first "H" missing).

My orthographic instincts, for what they're worth, suggest that
the 1942 orthography should be considered the preferred one.
And that the 1933 orthography should be revised (on modern
data-bases) to delete that first "H."  That would impart some
consistency to a typically amusing characteronym of the
sort often encountered in Fields comedies.

Ah yes.  But what say you, esteemed audience of most
perspicacious sensitivities ?

With bounteous gratitude,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois,

Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org