SCREEN-L Archives

June 2009, Week 2

From:
Marty Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:33:08 -0400
Hello, all.  Here is a Call for Abstracts for a conference to be held at the
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA, this coming October.  If you have any
questions about the conference and/or wish to submit an abstract, please contact
the conference organizers directly at [log in to unmask]

thanks,
Marty Norden
 Martin F. Norden
 Communication Dept., 409 Machmer Hall      norden(at)comm.umass.edu
 University of Massachusetts-Amherst        fax: 413 545-6399
 Amherst, MA  01003   USA                   vox: 413 545-0598
               Home page: http://people.umass.edu/norden

***Apologies for cross-postings***

Call for Abstracts

Passions: Promises and Perils

Conference hosted by the Graduate Program in Communication
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
Date: October 16-17, 2009
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Deadline to submit abstracts: Monday, June 29, 2009.

Concept

Commitments and investments in the world emerge from passions. These passions
form the basis for promise and peril, peace and violence, oppression and
liberation.  Yet why is it that passions can contradict self-interest?  How are
passions constructed and manipulated to various ends? How are they both
“natural” and naturalized?  Where are passions enacted, to what ends, and
for whose benefit?

Passions inform and mediate communication in both limiting and enabling ways.
Passion(s) viewed as a cultural performance is/are bounded, identified, and
interpreted variously depending on locations of race, ethnicity, gender, and
sexuality.  They influence patterns of consumer culture and behavior in both
material and virtual worlds.  Passions mobilize policy decisions. They prevent
and promote intercultural dialogue.  The communicative lives of fantasy,
imitation, play, sport, and representation begin and end in passions.

We invite submissions that examine and/or demonstrate such significant
commitments and investments from a variety of perspectives and areas of
communication study, including but not limited to: film, media, and cultural
studies; critical theory and philosophy; social interaction; intercultural
communication and ethnography of communication; race, gender, and sexuality;
cultural policy and political economy; rhetorical studies; critical pedagogy;
and performance studies.  As a conference we are concerned with the place of
passion(s) both inside and outside of the academy.  That is, we focus on
passions not only “out there,” but “in here” as well, and the benefits and
limitations of our academic investments.  With passions as our theme we hope to
foster fresh responses to concerns with theory, method, culture, and  politics
facing communication scholars today.

Process

This conference treats Passions as an organizing theme.  Small panels will be
structured with the objective of stimulating mutually informing dialogue.

The deadline to submit abstracts of 250 words maximum is Monday, June 29, 2009.
Submissions should be e-mailed to: [log in to unmask]

***PLEASE NOTE: though the conference is sponsored by graduate students, it is
open to students, faculty, and independent scholars.***

Invited participants will be asked to submit short position papers on an issue
related to the subject of their abstract.  Position papers will be made
available to attendees on our conference website, requiring each participant to
present only a brief summary of their paper at the conference.  Panel time will
be devoted to guided discussion among panel members and the audience.

We are also soliciting submissions of alternative format research presentations
and creative works, including but not limited to: performance, multimedia
installation, and film and video work dealing directly with social themes (such
as social documentary, ethnography and auto-ethnography, and experimental audio-
visual works which encode social, cultural, political, and economic issues).

Submission Deadlines

•Abstracts due:                   Monday, June 29, 2009
•Notice of acceptance sent:       July 2009
•Invited position papers due:     Friday, September 18, 2009

Example Panel Topics

The following are examples of topics around which panels may be organized.
Submissions are not required to conform to any of these topics, however.

Dis/locating Passions: Spaces Where Passion is Expected, Assumed, or Not
Permitted
Discourses of Agency and Structure
Discourses of Social Movements & Social Justice
Discourses in Race, Racism, and Inequality
Future of the Field of Communication
Passion and Discourses of Gender, Sex, and Sexuality
Passion and Excess (of Body, Knowledge, etc.)
Passion in Film, Media, and Technology
Passions in Cultural Consumption
Pedagogy & Communication
Performing and Rethinking Communication

Panels and abstracts need not explicitly engage "passions."  The conference
theme is used to organize panel discussions of the scholarly investments that
inform our work. While this is the organizing theme, we use it to signify
broadly the social, cultural, and economic investments that organize the things
we study, and how we study them.