SCREEN-L Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
"Harriss, Chad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:08:41 -0500
Sounds to me like your AV/IT department is going to the extremes with
their position.

Stanford does a nice job of presenting the law (http://fairuse.stanford.edu/
) and your proposed usage should easily fall under the Fair Use
provisions of copyright law. I've also attached the Society of Cinema
and Media Studies Statement of Best Practices for Fair Use in Teaching.

Beyond that, freeware like Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) will allow
you to rip material from a DVD. Then you can simply import that
material into something like iMovie to edit the pieces that you need.

Good luck.

-chad

http://www.ScreenSite.org

---------------------------------------------- Chandler Harriss, PhD Alfred University (607) 871-2112 [log in to unmask] On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Glassmeyer, Danielle wrote: > My school's AV/IT support department has just told me that they can't > legally make clips from any film source for any reason due to > copyright > issues. > > Before I say "pish posh", I thought I might ask here... > > I need clips from feature films that would fall well under 10 % of > total > running time. I would be using them in classroom and conference > presentation only. And they are not Disney. And it's okay with me if > the clips are housed on a password-restricted streaming server. > > Three requests > > -- can you all point me toward the current law so I can review what it > says? -- can you all make suggestions about workarounds if you have > had > a similar problem? > --can you all help me to figure out what kind of equipment and > programs > I would need to do this on my own? > > Thanks in advance for advice and help! > > Danielle Glassmeyer > English Department > Bradley University > > ---- > Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex > podcast: > http://www.screenlex.org ---- Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite http://www.ScreenSite.org