SCREEN-L Archives

September 2008, Week 3

From:
Mark Winokur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:27:21 -0600
Hi, All:
Apologies if this is a repost. It was forwarded from a colleague to a
colleague to me:
Best
Mark

Dear colleagues,
I am chairing my department's search this year for an assistant
professor in "Literature and Media" and was hoping you might pass on
information about the position to anyone you think would be especially
suitable for the job. The job ad is below. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Rita Raley

-----------

University of California, Santa Barbara
English, 2607 South Hall Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3170

Assistant Professor in Literature and Media
http://www.english.ucsb.edu

Tenure-track Assistant Professor. We seek a candidate who specializes
in literature and media technologies or cultures between 1800 and c.
1980, the epoch of modernization from the first industrial revolution to
the onset of the current digital revolution. We are particularly
interested in candidates whose research focuses on writing, reading,
communicational, computational, visual, or sensory media in the period
between early-modern technologies of writing and reading and
contemporary digital technologies (two areas in which our department has
strength).

The ideal candidate would be able to teach a range of courses in
literature and media, as well as a literary historical field; contribute
to the department's digital humanities and undergraduate specialization
in Literature & Culture of Information, as well as intersect with the
department's collaborative research and teaching initiatives (including
the Transcriptions/Literature, Culture, and Media Center and the
Transliteracies Project); and contribute to the diversity and excellence
of the academic community through research, teaching, and service.
(Please visit the UCSB English website for information on our
department's ongoing initiatives.) Position effective July 1, 2009.
Ph.D. required at the time of appointment.

Send letter of application, dossier, and non returnable sample of
written work (20pp or less) to Literature and Media Search Committee,
Department of English, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106
3170.

To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by October
24, 2008. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. The
University of California is an EO/AA employer.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org