SCREEN-L Archives

July 2008, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:11:29 -0500
>I don't really have a list if the best, but I know who the absolute worst is:  Peter Travers of ROLLING STONE, without a doubt.

Care to add even a couple of words about why this might be so?  Travers at least has a personality and even if he's quite mainstream, uncomplicated and ignores anything requiring subtitles there are worse sins.  Writers at national publications have a disadvantage since they're so widely read while more bland or even offensive critics can pass unnoticed at local dailies.  For instance I'd pick one of the worst as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Eleanor Ringel Gillespie (for shoddy knowledge of film history, for leaden writing, for predictable ideas and for having written an astrology book) but she would have little national recognition.  Alternative weeklies frequently have even worse (ie bland, uninteresting) writers but they're often ones just learning or who won't last long anyway so they get more leeway but then alternatives also can provide a comfortable environment for all sorts of individual or downright odd talents.

"Listen:  There are no ghosts, only ghost ninjas."
Diamond Ninja Force

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org