SCREEN-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
Mike Chopra-Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:49:28 +0100
It depends what your aim is. Citizen Kane, although well received
critically at the time and since, was pretty much ignored by contemporary
cinema audiences who, on the whole, thought it was awful. So if you are
following the conventional route of film studies, looking at film as art
and emphasising aesthetic concerns then Citizen Kane may be an acceptable
choice. On the other hand, however, if you have any concern for cinema as
a social institution and the historical dimensions of film exhibition then
in my opinion Citizen Kane (and many of the other films in the film
studies Canon) is not a particularly instructive example. As I said, it
largely depends on what you think film studies is (or should be) all
about.

Mike

--
Dr. Mike Chopra-Gant
Reader in Media, Culture and Communications

020 7133 5050
SKYPE: mikechopragant

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo

http://www.ScreenSite.org