SCREEN-L Archives

June 2008, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:42:38 EDT
Scott,

As a dvd distributor, there are a lot of complications and problems that have
to be solved with every release. Sometimes its stupidity, sometimes its
inexperience, sometimes its finances and sometimes its the original materials. I've
(Milestone) personally sinned on each and every one of those and more --
though hopefully never twice and hopefully not more than once on any given DVD.
Criterion makes less then most because they have the Janus catalog to build
from, reputation, finances, a large staff, and good talent. Kino, Milestone,
Flicker Alley, New Yorker and Zeitgeist have slightly less -- at times -- but we
work just as hard. With these companies, commercial potential or available funds
can affect the final outcome but rarely.

I've left Facets out because I don't get freebies from them like I get from
the others (are you there Milos?) so I can't judge them. So you can judge
Facets from the above. There are titles they release that I could never touch
because even we find them uncommercial. At the same time, I'm sure everybody feels
that way about a lot of our titles (La Terre, anyone?). It comes down to
personal choice by the distributor.

Facets did beat us out on Bela Tarr's films. Bela and I got along very well
but his sales rep preferred a larger advance than Milestone spending the money
on prints for a theatrical tour. Those I wish I had a chance to produce. I do
know they went through some hell getting the material.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128