SCREEN-L Archives

October 2007, Week 5

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:28:49 -0500
Actually, PLAY MISTY FOR ME includes a scene with Eastwood and Donna Mills al fresco (watched by Walters) that very clearly implies sex, including oral sex.  (I first saw this in an Army base theater, where such things got noticed.)  Arthur Knight and Hollis Alpert used to do yearly updates (for Playboy, of course) of sex in the movies during that transitional era of the 1960s.  Also see Parker Tyler's 1974 PICTORIAL HISTORY OF SEX IN FILMS.

And there was lots of suggestiveness in Code-regulated movies (Scarlett's air of total refreshment the morning after Rhett carried her up those stairs in GONE WITH THE WIND, for example).

But the most interesting period might be the so-called "pre-code" films c. 1930-1934 before the studios began strictly enforcing the code.  TCM was featuring a number of these movies earlier this year.  You might also check out PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD by Thomas Patrick Doherty (1999).

Don Larsson
"When something is empty, fill it.  When something is full, empty it.  When you have an itch, scratch it."   --Dieter Dengler

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN  56001