SCREEN-L Archives

October 2007, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:04:03 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out.

This issue, we feature columns from Jeffrey P. Jones, Michele Myers, Gareth
Palmer, Tim Gibson, Joan Hawkins, and Ray Cha.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Institutions That Fail, Narratives That Succeed: Television's Community Realism
Versus Cinema's Neo-Liberal Hope" by Jeffrey P. Jones:
Why The Wire and Friday Night Lights are so fundamentally different from Freedom
Writers and We Are Marshall - and why that matters.

“Youth, Representation, and the Contemporary History of Canadian TV" by Michele
Byers:
Canadian (over)production of teen TV says something about the role Canada plays
in the global TV market, teaching us about the space where technological
innovation and the production of national cultures and voices intersect.

"'A-loan A-gain:' In the Shadows of Lifestyle Television" by Gareth Palmer:
A look at daytime commercials reveals that the home we are encouraged to love
and cherish more than ever has shaky foundations.

"Urban Fortunes: Television, Gentrification, and the American City" by Tim
Gibson:
In addition to presenting viewers with images of urban mayhem, American
television now offers a new vision of the city as a bourgeois playground - a
bright-lights stage upon which popular fantasies of wealth, power, and
distinction can be indulged. Yet, this said, there is still something about
this recent celebration of the gentrified city that rankles.

"White Channels" by Joan Hawkins:
The most striking change on white supremacist websites involves mediacasts and
post links to other media.

"Getting the Big Picture on Television on the Internet" by Ray Cha:
As television continues its transfer over to the digital and networked
existence, the Internet will be playing an essential part of that process.
Ensuring fair and equitable access will require understanding the nature of the
Internet - which is both decentralizing and centrifugal.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff