SCREEN-L Archives

September 2007, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:33:56 -0500
I'm sure that somebody's addressed Mike's question somewhere, but THE JAZZ SINGER is arguably a musical yet features no dancing that I recall.  If we stipulate that at least some of the musical numbers must advance the narrative in some way for a film to be a true "musical" (and not just a film that features musical performances), then there are still a number of earlier sound-era examples with song but little or no dance, such as Mamoulian's LOVE ME TONIGHT.

The advancing-the-narrative definition of musicals is suspect from the vantage point of theatrical history, though.  Jerome Kern's SHOWBOAT (1927) is often credited as being the first "true" Broadway musical--the same year as THE JAZZ SINGER--and many theater critics and historians list OKLAHOMA (1943!) as the first stage musical to fully integrate song *and* dance with the narrative.  In that sense, it would seem, the theater world was lagging behind the cinema.

One other point--even in the silent era, experimentalists like Clair, Leger, Vertov and others were working with elements of editing that incorporated the kinds of rhythmic structures that are independent of human dancing but often featured in film musicals from Busby Berkeley to Luhrman's MOULIN ROUGE, and directors like Mamoulian, Donen and Minnelli would make the camerawork itself an element that could be called "dancing" too.  Those features, of course, are generally inexpressible on a stage.

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
President, MSU Faculty Association
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN  56001