SCREEN-L Archives

August 2007, Week 5

From:
"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:57:03 -0400
betty's question has led me to wonder about something that somehow never
occurred to me before . . . the american musical theater --and film
musicals that are a first cousin --almost always [so far as i can
recall] include dancing  . . . and yet in opera, from which musical
theater presumably derives, dancing, while not uncommon, is at best an
optional feature . . . can this be right? . . . are there in fact very
few american musicals that lack dancing? . . . i don't remember any
dancing in meet me in st. louis, but that's the only one i can think of
and i don't even remember that one well enough to be certain . . . what
i am missing???

mike