SCREEN-L Archives

June 2007, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:00:27 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Jonathan
Gray, Kim Akass and Janet McCabe, Hector Amaya, Daniel Chamberlain, Alan McKee,
and Anna Beatrice Scott.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"8-Bit Porn: Atari After Dark" by Eric Freedman:
While I am not the first enthusiast to sketch out the basic lineup of adult
titles designed to play on 2600 consoles, what most of the fan sites do not
consider is the role these games may have played in larger industrial and
cultural discourses about gaming.

"Bringing the War Back Home: YouTube and Anti-War Street Theater" by Chuck
Tryon:
A YouTube video of a street theater performance by Iraq Veterans Against the War
(IVAW) raises questions about the representations of the war in Iraq as mediated
by both the mainstream media and the more participatory video sharing sites.

"Feature Film: A ‘You Tube Narrative Model’?" by Alex Munt:
Munt explores Hollywood’s reaction to the popularity of YouTube and its emerging
“Clip Culture.”

"Glimpsing Utopia on Lost" by Tim Gibson:
What I felt in my bones when I watched this particular episode of Lost was a
yearning for the collective life of the castaways. Whatever else happens, these
people are in it together. When times are bad, they are bad for everyone. When
times are good—like when Hurley liberates the hatch’s food—they’re good for one
and all alike.

"Modern Love?" by Judith Halberstam:
New York Times column “Modern Love” records the ups
and downs, the byroads and hidden paths of contemporary romance for urban,
mostly white, mostly heterosexual men and women.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org