SCREEN-L Archives

May 2007, Week 4

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 15:17:10 -0400
I was wondering if anyone knows of any novels about early cinema that are from the period when such films were new.  I recently read L. Frank Baum's _Aunt Jane's Nieces Out West_, which is partly a fictional account of the film scene in 1914, but mainly about a man falsely accused of being a jewel thief.  By the end I felt I'd learned more about pearls than an early response to the film scene by someone who was both an insider and an outsider at the very time he wrote the book.  Can anyone think of other examples of this sort of fiction?

Sent via the WebMail system at cix.csi.cuny.edu

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org