SCREEN-L Archives

January 2007, Week 4

From:
James Steffen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:56:55 -0500
I'm not aware of *any* commercial DVD of POTEMKIN with the Meisel
score. The Criterion Collection has been working on an Eisenstein
silents box set, but there hasn't been any news on that in quite some
time.

The best-looking version of POTEMKIN on DVD at the moment is the French
edition (with English subtitles) that also comes with a superior
version of THE GENERAL LINE. It's released by Films Sans Frontieres and
is available from Fnac.com:

     http://www4.fnac.com/Shelf/article.aspx?PRID=1376773

You'll need a Region 2 PAL player for this.

However, this is the 70s Soviet print that's also released in the U.S.,
and not the recent restoration that has been touring with the Meisel
score.

Incidentally, Films Sans Frontieres also sells an excellent DVD of
Paradjanov's SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS, also with English
subtitles. (Their DVD of THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES is overly
contrast-boosted and not windowboxed, unlike the Kino DVD, which is
still the best DVD edition of that particular film.)

Best,
James Steffen

--
James M. Steffen