SCREEN-L Archives

August 2006, Week 2

From:
Thierry Jutel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:48:22 +1200
CALL FOR PAPERS

MEDIANZ

A CONFERENCE OF FILM, MEDIA, POPULAR MUSIC and DIGITAL MEDIA

IN AOTEAROA/NEW ZEALAND

THURSDAY 8TH-SATURDAY 10TH FEBRUARY 2007

School of Film, English, Theatre and Media Studies,

Victoria University of Wellington

Aotearoa/New Zealand

You are invited to submit abstracts and panel proposals to the first
bi-annual MEDIANZ conference, a gathering for scholars of film,
media, popular music and digital media in Aotearoa/New Zealand. The
conference is hosted by the School of English, Film, Theatre and
Media Studies at Victoria University of Wellington.

Over the last two decades, the cognate areas of film, media, digital
arts, and popular music have gone through major developments in
Aotearoa. Departments and programmes are now present in most tertiary
institutions--Universities, Wānanga, and Polytechnics--and attract
large numbers of students. Yet the field has not yet created a formal
association across tertiary institutions, to address issues common to
all and engage in regular dialogues among institutions and with media
institutions, industry and government.
  This conference provides an opportunity to assess, reflect upon,
and promote these academic fields in New Zealand.  It will bring
together academics, students, practitioners and institutions. The
conference will be laying the groundwork for the constitution of a
formal association. The NZ Journal of Media Studies  (http://
www.nzmediastudies.org.nz) has agreed to be formally linked to such a
professional association and will publish a special issue emerging
from presentations at this conference later in 2007.

  We are looking for abstracts which reflect the range of research
practices in Aotearoa, whether they specifically address local issues
or not.  Abstracts should be no more than 250 words and should
contain the names and institutional affiliations of presenters.
Papers should be in the form of 20-minute presentations. We are
planning to put a special emphasis on the participation of MA and
especially PhD students and we are budgeting for traveling support
with the country.

  Pre-constituted panels should have the names of all contributors
and provide a synopsis of the discussion. We are particularly
interested in issues relating to the teaching of our disciplines in
different institutions, the relationship between tertiary and
secondary teaching, and inter-institutional research agendas and
projects.

  Please send abstracts and inquiries to either:

  Thierry Jutel ([log in to unmask])
Geoff Stahl ([log in to unmask])

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 1st October 2006

ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION: 15th October 2006

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION FOR POSTGRADUATE TRAVEL FUNDING: 1st
November 2006

You may be interested in joining the MEDIANZ network where
discussions of the conference is taking place and where further
announcements will be posted.