SCREEN-L Archives

March 2006, Week 2

From:
Fabrice Lyczba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:56:33 +0100
Does anyone know of silent films (not necessarily American silent
films; in any iflm tradition) with dialogue titles not on separate
intertitles between shots of characters talking (as seems to be
always the case), but with dialogues appearing as subtitles on the
shots of the characters themselves (as subtitles appear in sound
films) ? I seem to remember seeing a silent film where this was done,
but I can't remember which film, and whether this was a later
reconstruction for sound film audiences -- or whether this is an
experiment that was tried in silent cinema, somewhere. Or any idea
where I could find information about the development of titles as
separate shots inserted within the continuity of other shots, rather
than as functional subtitles that would not interrupt the visual flow ?
Thanks for any lead

Fabrice Lyczba