SCREEN-L Archives

March 2006, Week 1

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 00:33:37 -0500
I alway find it fascinating to browse through the old silent film journals like The Moving Picture World when I'm doing research.  I waas wondering if any of these thigns have been reprinted so I don't have to request microfilms just to browse, whcih I don't think the library encourages as it is, in addition to being inconvenient and motion-sickness inducing whenever I forget to turn my head while scrolling.

All the books on silent cinema that I have seen are either not terribly specific about the films themselves, such as Tsivian's _Early Cinema in Russia_, or they primarily go over the heralded classics and ignore the forgotten films that have either not been preserved or have been preserved only by public domain labels.  Are there any books that will come anywhere close to the more generalized look at the films that the contemporary publications presented?  I have _An Evening's Entertainment_ out of the library, but most of the films in the index are pretty well known to those familiar with the period, which seems to be pretty typical, but not quite what I'm inquiring about.  I doubt those old periodicals have been reprinted (wouldn't that be nice?), but is there something easy to obtain that will provide such kitchen sink information?

Scott

Sent via the WebMail system at cix.csi.cuny.edu

http://www.ScreenSite.org