SCREEN-L Archives

January 2006, Week 2

From:
Phil Powrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:36:16 -0000
[circulated to various lists]

1. French Politics, Culture and Society. Special issue: French Cinema and Globalization

2. Network for European Cinema and Media Studies: Berlin Workshop Feb 2006

3. Call for papers: Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe

1. French Politics, Culture and Society Vol 23 No. 3 Winter 2005
Special issue: French Cinema and Globalization Edited by Graeme Hayes & Martin O'Shaughnessy

Graeme Hayes & Martin O'Shaughnessy
French Cinema: Globalization, Representation, and Resistance
pp.1-13
Graeme Hayes
Regulating Multiplexes: The French State between Corporatism and Globalization
pp.14-33
Jonathan Buchsbaum
After GATT: Has the Revival of French Cinema Ended?
pp.34-54
Charlie Michael
French National Cinema and the Martial Arts Blockbuster
pp.55-74
Martin O'Shaughnessy
Eloquent Fragments: French Fiction Film and Globalization
pp.75-88
Laurent Marie
Le Réel ŕ l'attaque: French Documentary and Globalization
pp.89-105

2. Network for European Cinema and Media Studies

At the beginning of a new milennium and at the beginning
of cinema's second century it seems reasonable
to claim an important place for cinema - and
other audiovisual media - in the history of the 20th
Century. Looking at two incisive changes in the sociopolitical
landscape - the enlargement of the European
Union to include countries from the former Eastern
block and the shift of audiovisual culture from indexically-
based reproduction technologies to the digital
- we intend to build a new kind of network in order to
foster and support international exchange in the domain
of cinema studies and fi lm culture.
With the foundation of the Network for European
Cinema Studies (NECS) we are pursuing multiple
aims: By providing opportunities for the presentation
of new research - publications, conferences, research
networks, workshops - we want to stimulate new developments
and create a public for new concepts and
ideas which will secure our discipline a place as an innovative
engine of the humanities. By stimulating the
participation of young scholars and researchers we
hope to contribute to the emergence of the next generation
of fi lm studies. By fostering exchange across
national, cultural, and linguistic boundaries we want
to deepen and intensify co-operation in order to make
truly comparative work possible. By providing a platform
on which research networks can build we hope
to make international co-operation a daily routine of
our trade.

the berlin workshop
10.-11. february 2006
Deutsches Historisches Museum (Auditorium)
Unter den Linden 2, 10117 Berlin
Friday 10th of February
Perspectives for European Film
and Media Studies: Theory and History
2 pm Introduction
2.30 - 4.30 pm Prof. Gertrud Koch (Berlin)
Prof. Raymond Bellour (Paris)
Prof. Astrid Söderbergh
Widding (Stockholm)
5 - 7 pm Prof. Frank Kessler (Utrecht)
Prof. Leonardo Quaresima
(Udine)
Alexander Horwath (Vienna)
*
Saturday 11th of February
A Survey of Film and Media Studies in Europe
10 - 11 am Poland (Malgorzata Radzkiewicz)
England/Scotland
(Dorota Ostrowska )
Turkey (Yesim Burul, Melis Behlil)
Spain (Gloria Fernandez)
11.15-12.15 am France (N.N.)
Italy (Francesco Pitassio)
Germany (N.N.)
Austria (Ramón Reichert)
12.30- 1.30 pm Netherlands (Wanda Strauven)
Belgium (Philippe Meers)
Sweden (Anu Koivunen)
Switzerland (Laurent Guido)
3-6 pm Founding of NECS (charter, elections,
formation of comitees)

3. Call for papers: Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe, Lincoln College, Oxford, 6-8 July 2006. The deadline has been extended to 27 January 2006.

Papers are invited for an International Conference on Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe, hosted by Film Studies and the Institute for Historical and Cultural Research at Oxford Brookes University, to be held at Lincoln College, Oxford, 6-8 July, 2006.

With European cinemas becoming increasingly determined by multicultural and multi-ethnic presences and themes, critical paradigms which examine these cinemas in terms of their national specificity do not adequately address the shift from the national to the transnational which has occurred in all areas of European cinema during the past twenty-five years. This conference seeks to explore how migrant and diasporic filmmakers have redefined our understanding of European cinema. By adopting a comparative perspective in our search for the commonalities and specificities between migrant and diasporic cinemas across different European countries, we endeavour to transcend the borders and limitations of an analytical framework that privileges the concept of discrete national cinemas.

Confirmed keynote speakers include:
Professor Hamid Naficy, Rice University, Texas Professor Dina Iordanova, University of St. Andrews Professor Robert Burns, University of Warwick Pawel Pawlikowski, independent filmmaker (Last Resort, My Summer of Love)

The conference is supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council. It is the first of a series of events organised by a Research Network which contributes to the AHRC Diasporas, Migration and Identities Programme.

Please visit the conference website for further details and a downloadableCall for Papers:

http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/conferences/migrant_cinema <http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/conferences/migrant_cinema>

Please send a proposal of 200 - 300 words for a paper of approx. 20 minutes, together with your contact details and a brief biographical note to the following email address: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Please mark subject box 'Migrant cinema conference'.

Dr Daniela Berghahn
Principal Lecturer in German and Film Studies
Oxford Brookes University
School of Arts and Humanities
Headington Campus
Oxford
OX3 0BP
Tel +44 (0)1865 484141
Fax +44 (0)1865 483791

--
content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.