SCREEN-L Archives

January 2006, Week 2

From:
Stephen Tropiano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:47:43 +0000
To those who can relate:
I am making an effort to "retool" my undergraduate film theory course this
semester.  I am once again using Braudy & Cohen's FILM THEORY & CRITICISM
(though I am planning to move on to another text in the fall because I
have finally faced the fact that it is not an appropriate undergraduate
text for my students).

My question is this: I would like to devote a class to semiotics and
structuralism prior to discussing genre and would appreciate your
recommendations.  Ideally, I would like to screen a film and have my
students read semiotic/structuralist analysis of the text, but one that
they will actually be able to understand.  I have found examples for
television--but few for film.

I know this sounds like a very basic request, but I have decided to get
back to the "basics" for my undergraduate theory class.  I would also
appreciate other films that you feel have worked in regards to genre, film
narrative, ideology, and feminism.

Yours in the struggle,
Stephen Tropiano

Stephen Tropiano
Director, Ithaca College Los Angeles Program
Editor, Journal of Film and Video
James B. Pendleton Center
3800 Barham Blvd.  Suite 305
Los Angeles, California  90068

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others
because you were born in it. - George Bernard Shaw

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. -Albert
Einstein

You'll never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the
human race.
- George Bernard Shaw

http://www.ScreenSite.org