SCREEN-L Archives

October 2005, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 12:04:36 -0500
Greetings,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture is out. This issue features columns by Jonathan
Gray, Douglas Kellner, Dan Leopard, John McMurria, Walter Metz, and Brian L.
Ott.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"The August Audience" by Jonathan Gray:
How does pre-season marketing play in to the way audiences interpret television
texts, and how do we analyze those readings as critics in television studies?

"Hurricane Spectacles and the Crisis of the Bush Presidency" by Douglas
Kellner:
(How) will the Bush image weather criticism leveled at his administration in the
wake of Hurricane Katrina?

"Micro-Ethnographies of the Screen: The Supermarket" by Dan Leopard:
Dan Leopard considers the screens we ignore as we shop for food.

"Desperate Citizens" by John McMurria:
The corporate sponsored show Extreme Makeover Home Edition fails to recognize
the irony that these corporations contribute to the problems of the families
being featured.

"The Los Angeles Misanthrope" by Walter Metz:
Online publication, such as Flow, allows academics the much needed space to
contemporaneously intervene into the reception of films and TV programs. The
benefit of these interventions is changing the nature of reception by making it
relevant to its time.

"The "Popular Culture and Philosophy" Books and Philosophy: Philosophy, You've
Officially Been Pimped" by Brian L. Ott:
A tongue-in-cheek look at the faux-wit and wisdom of the Popular Culture and
Philosophy books.

We look forward to your visit.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff