SCREEN-L Archives

July 2005, Week 1

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:03:07 +0000
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in sending out this notice. Just wanted to let you
know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum on television and media
culture came out on Friday, June 24. This issue features columns by John
Hartley, Jim McGuigan, Brian L. Ott, Sharon Ross, and Frederick Wasser with
a guest column by Jane Feuer.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns:

Discovering the Art of Television's Endings. Jane Feuer provides a
consideration of the aesthetics of the television season finale.

Quoting Flowers Powers: Mars or Venus? John Hartley asks 'Is media studies
in need of planetary realignment?' Or, how learning to appreciate Benny Hill
might solve the Fiske/McChesney divide.

TV Down Under. Jim McGuigan discusses whether Austrialian television closer
to American or British TV.

Some Good News about the News: 5 Reasons Why ‘Fake' News is Better than Fox
‘News'. Brian L. Ott tells us why there is no more destructive, deleterious,
and dangerous institution in society today than the mainstream news media.

What Do We Want from TV Studies? Sharon Ross asks 'On a practical level, how
do we as scholars, teachers, and activists manage to address the many facets
of TV today? What do we want from TV Studies?'

If We Are So Smart.... Frederick Wasser wants to know how can media studies
address television's impact on contemporary politics? A further
consideration of the political economy/cultural studies debate.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Best,

Avi Santo & Christopher Lucas
Coordinating Editors
Flow