SCREEN-L Archives

May 2005, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 06:34:16 -0500
One of Google's new services includes the ability to search the
closed-captioning text of TV programs. Here's how they describe it (below).

There are several cool things about this, not the least of which is the
illustration of the search results with frame grabs from segments of the
program, accompanying bits of text. To test it, I tried searching on
"deadwood" to see what sort of references there are to my new favorite
HBO program. To my surprise, it found a screeing of John Ford's /My
Darling Clementine/ on a PBS station. Suddenly, I was staring at a
frame grab of Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp!

Amazing!

I'm also happy to see Google use frame grabs this way. It helps to
legitimate claims for "fair use" of them for scholarly/teaching purposes.

--- Google Video Search ---

Our mission is to organize the world's information, and that includes
the thousands of programs that play on our TVs every day. Google Video
enables you to search a growing archive of televised content -
everything from sports to dinosaur documentaries to news shows.

Just type in your search term (for instance, ipod or Napa Valley) or do
a more advanced search (for instance, title:nightline) and Google Video
will search the closed captioning text of all the programs in our
archive for relevant results. Click on a program title on your results
page and you can look through short snippets of the text along with
still images from the show. Visit the "About this show" side panel to
learn when this show will air next.

Right now we're just testing this product, so you'll find programs only
from a limited number of channels, which we've been indexing since late
December 2004. You can expect to see more and more content as we
continue to add new channels.

http://video.google.com/video_about.html

--
Jeremy Butler