SCREEN-L Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Michael Kackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 18:08:36 -0500
I don't think we really need turn to either the Almighty or Alan Sokol to
figure this out -- though perhaps some might find solace in doing so.

I suspect that those who use the term "Buffy Studies" do so with an awful
lot of self-conscious irony that sends up -- as much it emulates -- other
more readily sanctioned auteurist or text-centered pursuits as, I dunno,
say, Hitchcock studies.  So maybe they're already a bit on your side.  Just
in case they're not, I imagine it's a bit of an umbrella term that in
shorthand covers the convergence of a variety of issues -- genre, youth
cultures, gender, etc.

Clearly, though, there's an underlying problem.  We ought to better
discipline the boundaries of the field -- lest the Almighty notice that
UNDERGRADUATES are beginning to care enough about writing to develop their
own journal.  I mean, they're not even credentialed, or anything.  Next
thing we know, a group of renegade youth will develop a journal of Sokol
Studies.

Oh, my!

;-)

mk