SCREEN-L Archives

April 2005, Week 3

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:06:38 +0000
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture came out on Friday, April 15. This issue
features columns by Chris Anderson, John Hartley, Jim McGuigan, Brian Ott,
Sharon Ross, and Frederick Wasser with a guest column by Patricia
Aufderheide.

We have also published a one-shot piece by Rachel Weiss and a new Pass the
Remote letter exchange.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns:

Pass the Remote!, Shana Heinricy, Matt Payne, and Angela McManaman ask
'Who is the "we" in those ubiquitous [Adult Swim] promos?'

Flotsam. Christopher Anderson explores how our understanding of television
changes when we replace the idea of "flow" with "flotsam"?

The Copyright Creative Stranglehold. Patricia Aufderheide discusses the
negative effects of copyright law on documentary production.

Disappointment and Disgust, or Teaching? John Hartley wonders if
‘disappointment' and ‘the teaching of disgust' the ‘core of [the media
studies] discipline'?

Inside the Beeb. Jim McGuigan ponders how a public network like the BBC
survive in the age of privatization?

Symbolic Inversion: Git-R-Done! Brian L. Ott asks 'What is appealing about
Jeff Foxworthy?'

Meaningful Mysteries - Psychoanalytic Pleasures in Today's TV. Sharon Ross
offers a consideration of the pleasure of unraveling contemporary
television's "meaningful mysteries."

Copps's Hypothesis: Indecency and Media Ownership. Frederick Wasser
considers a hypothesis of FCC commissioner Michael Copps: is there a
relationship between media deregulation and vulgar programming?

Notes from the Blogosphere. Rachel Weiss suggests that blogs are the new
reality television.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Best,

Avi Santo & Christopher Lucas
Coordinating Editors
Flow