SCREEN-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Jonathan Cullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:40:57 -0600
Brilliant news, Jeremy.  Thanks for posting that link.
Now I can read from the comfort of my desk the scathing review Crowther
gave BONNIE AND CLYDE, the one that resulted in his retirement from film
criticism.  What a useful resource!

---
Jonathan A. Cullum
Auburn University

It's just come to my attention that the NY Times has its archive of
film
reviews online:

http://movies.nytimes.com/pages/movies/index.html

(Registration may be required to view this page, but it should be
free.)

I don't know how far back it goes, or if they charge for some reviews,

but, still, it's an amazing resource.  For example, it's fascinating to

read Bosley Crowther's review of CITIZEN KANE from 2 May 1941:

CITIZEN KANE

By BOSLEY CROWTHER
Published: May 2, 1941

Within the withering spotlight as no other film has ever been before,
Orson Welles's Citizen Kane had its world premiere at the Palace last
evening. And now that the wraps are off, the mystery has been exposed,

and Mr. Welles and the RKO directors have taken the much-debated leap,

it can be safely stated that suppression of this film would have been a

crime. For, in spite of some disconcerting lapses and strange
ambiguities in the creation of the principal character, Citizen Kane is

far and away the most surprising and cinematically exciting motion
picture to be seen here in many a moon. As a matter of fact, it comes
close to being the most sensational film ever made in Hollywood.

For more:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?title1=&title2=CITIZEN%20KANE%20%28MOVIE%29&reviewer=&pdate=19410502&v_id=9737

--
Jeremy Butler
www.ScreenSite.org

----
To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
Screen-L