SCREEN-L Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:53:17 +0000
John P. Shields writes:

>Hey all of you in film land!

Good evening.

>Does anyone out there know of good text (or any articles) on how Hollywood
>represents the "artist" over the years?  I am thinking of doing a course
>on the representation of the artist looking at films like [...] Red Shoes,
>etc...

'The Red Shoes' was written and directed by two Brits (one of whom was also
Hungarian).  It featured a cast of at least four nationalities, none of
them American (at least, there were no Americans in any of the leading
parts), and the principal crew were also predominately British, with the
sole exception of a German production designer.  It was produced entirely
with British money and the rights are now owned by a French
company.  Therefore I'm slightly puzzled by your description of 'The Red
Shoes' as a 'Hollywood representation'.

Leo

Leo Enticknap
Northern Region Film & Television Archive
Middlesbrough, UK
www.nrfta.org.uk