SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
Murray W Forman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:56:16 -0500
Hello All,

I just received an advance copy of "Window to the Future: The Golden Age of
Television Marketing and Advertising, " by Steve Kosareff (Chronicle
Books/www.chroniclebooks.com) and thought a few of you might be interested
in knowing about it.

It is not a scholarly book -- of the coffee table variety -- but it could
be useful to anyone researching TV promotions and manufacturers'
advertising. I met the author at the NBC Archives in Madison a couple of
years ago where he meticulously assembled digital images of all kinds of
original promo materials, and the book includes images of magazines
including Hugo Gernsback's "Radio News" and "Radio Craft" in the 1920s
through to lifestyle ads for TV sets (and other domestic commodities or
television programs) from the 1950s.

I know that sometimes having good clear examples of ads and industry promo
materials can also help to provide students in Television courses with a
certain visual evidence and this book could be relevant in that context.

Best,
MF

http://www.ScreenSite.org