SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 2

From:
Harper Cossar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 04:49:00 -0800
I have not followed all messages from this thread, but
I would like to offer one possibility with regard to
texts. David Bordwell's chapter on Psycho in Making
Meaning ("Rhetoric in Action: Seven modes in Psycho")
is a wonderful attempt to view one canonical film from
multiple theoretical/ideological positions. While it
still may be inpenetrable for intro film students, I
think Bordwell's writing is concise enough that they
will not totally sink. Also, Greg Smith had a piece in
Cinema Journal (41(1)Fall 2001, 127-134) a few years
ago, entitled "It's Only a Movie: A teaching essay for
introductory media students". It is the first reading
I assign my intro classes because Smith sets up
arguments such as aesthetic and formalistic cues,
studio system politics and hints at theoretical
readings as all viable possibilities. In short, Smith
argues eleoquently that films are rich texts which may
be examined through a variety of lenses.

=== message truncated ===

=====
Harper Cossar