SCREEN-L Archives

August 2004, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:41:47 EDT

Hi,
Could you please post/distribute the  following call for papers?  We have
extended the deadline, and I want to  get the word out.
Thank you.
Call For  Papers

WAR IN FILM, TV, AND HISTORY
November 11-14,  2004
_www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org/)
CFP  MILITARY LEADERS AND  FILM
We are accustomed to seeing military men  glorified in film.  Films often
depict military leaders as the greatest, most admired men (or women?) in
history.  We see Alexander the  Great, Spartacus, William Wallace, Henry V,
Napoleon, Lord Nelson, George  Washington, Benedict Arnold, U.S. Grant, George Custer,
Dwight Eisenhower,  George Patton, Douglas McArthur and, most recently, Davey
Crockett glorified as  the saviors of their civilizations. But do they really
deserve such  admiration?
Has Hollywood ever treated a military leader honestly?  If not, why not?  Do
we now or did we ever HAVE TO  perceive these military leaders as unqualified
heroes? Even documentary  biographies reviewing the careers of such soldiers
as Eisenhower and Montgomery,  although somewhat more realistic the Hollywood
biographies, often tend to lionize these men rather  than attempt an objective
look at them.
The Film & History League, in association with  the Literature/Film
Association, will be holding its 3rd bi-annual  conference from November 11-14, 2004,
near Dallas, TX.  This  conference will focus on War in Film, Television, and
History.
Full details on the location,  registration procedures, and additional area
topics can be found on the web at  www.filmandhistory.org.
Deadline for proposals is September 30,  2004.

Area Chair for MILITARY LEADERS AND  FILM;
Suzanne Broderick
DeVry University/Online
709 Angela  Drive
Normal,  IL  61761
(309) 268-9940
Additional  Information:
CONCURRENT  MEETING:
Literature Film Association and The Literature/Film  Quarterly
(Purely literary or literature and radio or  film.)
Contact [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  and
AREAS OF STUDY (all listed on web site  with contact info)
Aesthetics of the War Film
Anti-War Comedies and Parodies
Aviation
Consequences and Legacies
Cuban Missile Crisis
Depiction on Television
The Family
Film Noir
Alfred Hitchcock
The Home Front
Holocaust
Korean Conflict
Stanley Kubrick
Literature Film Association
Marines
Medieval Wars
Military Leaders
Nursing
Pacifism
Propaganda
Spies
Vietnam
War Crimes'
Terror
Women
World War II—A and B Films
WWII on ABC
SPECIAL  SPEAKERS:
Adrian Cronauer of Good Morning Vietnam
Lawrence Suid, author of Guts and Glory: The Making of  the
American Military Image on Film
Frank Thompson, expert on the Alamo and  content expert for
The Alamo  (2004)
Jeanine Basinger, author of The World War II Combat  Film
Contact:  Area  Chairs via web site or  Peter Rollins at [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])
Be  there!