SCREEN-L Archives

June 2004, Week 5

From:
Bob Rehak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:37:29 -0500
For sheer charm, nothing beats the Babel fish featured in Douglas
Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and its sequels. Pop one in
your ear and the fish uses telepathy to translate anything you hear into
your native tongue.

Interesting to note that both the Babel fish and the Honyaku Konyaku are
figured in organic / biological terms rather than computer hardware ... a
shared dream of language technologies as somehow more "lively," exceeding
the cold confines of metal and silicon?

Bob