SCREEN-L Archives

June 2004, Week 3

From:
Paul Ramaeker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:56:15 +1200
Hi,
We are between semesters down here in NZ, and I am planning the
second semester of a full-year course I am running called
"Appropriating the Alternative".  In the first semester, we mainly
looked at how and why Hollywood has borrowed from the art cinema
(coming off of my own research).  Next semester, among other topics,
I want to look at how and why art cinema filmmakers (or, depending on
your definition of art cinema, related filmmakers) have appropriated
stylistic or narrative conventions from Hollywood.  We have already
looked a bit at Truffaut and Godard here (and read things like
Wollen's piece "Godard and Counter Cinema"), and I was thinking now
of looking at Demy (Cherbourg or Rochefort, natch) and/or Melville
(probably Un Flic or Le Cercle Rouge), and Tykwer (Lola).

Can anyone recommend any reading (it can be quite advanced) on these
films/filmmakers, or failing that, on strategies of appropriation
from Hollywood (genre, style, etc.) in European and/or art cinema?

Thanks,
Paul Ramaeker