SCREEN-L Archives

June 2004, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:50:05 -0500
An interesting set of questions!  I'm not sure about specific sources, but I'd guess that Umberto Eco has had something to say on the matters of how the mode of presentation (typeface, etc.) "signifies"--or not.  There are some parallels here too with Bordwell's incorporation of non-diegetic material (such as credits) as part of "plot/syuzhet" (vs. "story/fabula") in film.  But there are also issues here for various kinds of reader-response criticism.  (Is it in the cartoon THE CRITIC that voice of Mel Brooks muses on the "meaning" of what turns out to be a hair caught in the projector--except of course that hair has been placed into the "film" that the invisible Brooks is watching?  Or is my memory at fault here?--another matter of concern, and not just for my aging brain!)

Part of the issue that Mike raises returns us to questions of "intentionality," or at least what's perceived as such.  For example, as Mike implies, we usually take for granted such things as the decision to make a film in color or the fact that most films we see derive from a written screenplay.  However, the 1937 A STAR IS BORN foregrounds that screenplay by presenting it to the audience right at the beginning (and again at the end), framing the entire film, self-consciously, as a fiction in way that most films of its time (and even now) did not.  That, in turn, foregrounds the use of Technicolor (unusual in what is ostensibly a melodrama or "woman's picture" in 1937) in a way that its use in NOTHING SACRED (same producer and director) does not.

On the other hand, for years I enjoyed the dappled and textured lighting effects of Curtiz's THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.  It was only after half-a-dozen or so viewings of the film (including in movie theaters) that I finally saw a print in color, as it had been filmed.  Same movie--different effects!  This question has been around in print for a while--when is an accident of printing or editorial intrusion truly significant?

Don Larsson

"Only connect!"  --E.M. Forster
Donald F. Larsson
Department of English