SCREEN-L Archives

November 2003, Week 2

From:
Mark Jancovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:05:47 +0000
Dear Colleague,

The Institute of Film Studies and the School of American and Canadian
Studies at The University of Nottingham is holding a special symposium on
the topic Subjects/ Citizens, 9.30am-6pm, Saturday 6th December 2003 at The
East Concourse Lounge, Portland Building, University Park, The University of
Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD.

This will feature papers by both staff and PhD students from American and
Canadian Studies, and Film Studies. We are also delighted to announce that
Professor George Lipsitz from the University of California will be the Guest
Speaker on the day, where he will be presenting his paper titled, 'The
Metaphors of Two Worlds and the Culture of War.'

We will reimburse the travel expenses (up to £50) of all students who make a
formal application to the School for postgraduate study, in either American
and Canadian Studies and Film Studies, and as such we would ask you to
publicise this event to any interested parties.

The symposium provides an important opportunity for potential student
researchers to be involved in the kind of research being undertaken in the
school by staff and students. There will also be ample opportunity over
lunch and during coffee breaks to speak to staff and current students.

If any students are interested in attending, they will need to register with
Ann McQueen ([log in to unmask]).

The Subjects/ Citizens Symposium Committee

Dr Sharon Monteith Peter
Urquhart
Reader in American Studies Lecturer in Film Studies
& Symposium Organiser & Symposium Organiser

Kerry Gough
Articles Editor

Scope: An Online Journal of Film Studies
School of American and Canadian Studies
The University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham