SCREEN-L Archives

October 2003, Week 2

From:
"W. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:36:06 -0400
        Yes, the idea of an "error" or "blooper" is somewhat relative
and depends to a significant extent on what it is expected that the
immediate audience will notice or tolerate. In another Hitchcock
film, SPELLBOUND, there is also a kind of "lapse" or minor
discontinuity (deliberate or not?) when the Bergman character etches
the ovoid outline of a swimming pool onto a tablecloth. (I gave a
small talk on the matter at a conference a couple of years ago.)
        So, it is the latter of your two choices to which I refer:
the deliberate appending of (more or less) obviously flawed
out-takes. I had thought that this became a kind of practice in the
early 80's or late 70's, so the example of BEING THERE would be about
right (for my expectations, in any event). But then, your excellent
example from CITIZEN KANE does, in a way, qualify. Thanks very much
for bringing it to my attention.

Bill McC

  <--- mine (supra) responds to yours (infra) --->
:

--
Professor William J. McCarthy
Department of Greek and Latin/308 McMahon