SCREEN-L Archives

October 2003, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:04:42 -0400
Hello!
I'm writing from Women Make Movies, a non-profit organization located in New York. We recently sent out this announcement about Senorita Extraviada to all of our constituents in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.  I thought everyone on this list would be interested in learning more about the film and the recent developments in the campaign.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Wendy Cohen
Women Make Movies
462 Broadway, Suite 500
New York, NY 10013
212.925.0606 ext. 317

************ SEņORITA EXTRAVIADA NOW AVAILABLE TO EDUCATORS ***********

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Women Make Movies is pleased to offer a special discount on one of the most important films of the year - Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Lourdes Portillo's groundbreaking documentary SEņORITA EXTRAVIADA.  This gripping and emotionally charged film is a haunting investigation of the more than 300 women who have disappeared from the streets of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico since 1994.  Most of their bodies have been discovered weeks or months later, murdered and abused, dumped in a desert that provides few clues.  Their deaths remain a mystery, their histories almost completely erased as authorities have ignored pleas for justice from the victims' families, and the crimes have gone unpunished.

Portillo's film has brought much-needed public attention to perhaps one of the most overlooked human rights issues in the world today.  Next month the Latin America Working Group, the Washington Office on Latin America, and the Mexico Solidarity Network, in coordination with Congresswoman Hilda Solis (D-CA) are planning a delegation to investigate the current state of the Juarez murders and to call for an end to the endemic impunity that plagues the investigations.  This will be the highest level US delegation to Mexico with the explicit purpose of addressing the Juarez murders.

As the campaign gains momentum, WMM would like to offer a special 25% discount to university libraries, educators and community organizations using this film as a teaching tool to increase awareness and generate dialogue.  For more information on SEņORITA EXTRAVIADA, including how you can help, visit www.wmm.com/senoritaextraviada.

SEņORITA EXTRAVIADA is part of an extraordinary collection of films and videos chronicling the Latina experience, including:

ADIO KERIDA (GOODBYE DEAR LOVE), a film by Ruth Behar
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c598.htm

ALL WATER HAS A PERFECT MEMORY, a film by Natalia Almada
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c580.htm

LA BODA, a videotape by Hannah Weyer
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c493.htm

ESCUELA, a videotape by Hannah Weyer
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c573.htm

PERFORMING THE BORDER, a videotape by Ursula Biemann
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c474.htm

Offer ends December 31, 2003

*************** WMM CONTACT & ORDERING INFO ***************

Please check out our website at http://www.wmm.com/catalog/catalog.htm for information on these and other titles.  You can also request a copy our 30th Anniversary catalogue or get information on other New Releases at http://www.wmm.com/catalog/newrelse/new_releases.htm.

Women Make Movies, 462 Broadway, Suite 503E, New York, NY  10013
P/212.925.0606 x360, F/212.925.2052
[log in to unmask] / www.wmm.com

Established in 1972 to address the under-representation and misrepresentation of women in the media, Women Make Movies is the largest distributor of women's films and videos in the world. Women Make Movies recently concluded its 30th Anniversary year of 30 screenings in 30 cities around the globe highlighting the best in independent women's filmmaking.  Our catalogue of more than 500 films and videotapes is used by thousands of educational, community and cultural organizations annually.  For more information, visit www.wmm.com.

http://www.ScreenSite.org