SCREEN-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Max Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 18:42:08 +1000
As an MA student currently nearing the end of the third of my four
semester-long degree, I'm seeking any advice list members might be able to
offer regarding universities offering particularly strong programs in the
academic study of television.

To fill you in on my background and interests, I completed a BA in Modern
Culture and Media from Brown University in 1999 under Mary Anne Doane, whose
work has had a big influence on my subsequent research.  After graduation, I
spent a number of years working in the television and advertising industries
as a digital video editor before returning to academia to undertake a MA in
Media and Communications with Philip Bell at the University of New South
Wales in Sydney, Australia.

I'm currently at work on a 30,000 word MA thesis entitled 'Catastrophe Time:
Television, Temporality, and September 11' that uses coverage of 9-11 in
both Australia and America as a way of theorizing about television and
catastrophe's places in the constitution of our sense of the everyday or
banal.

I'm particularly fond of the work of Doane, Patricia Mellencamp, Ray
Williams, John Ellis, Jane Feuer, Margaret Morse, Tania Modleski, and I
guess, like so many of those writers, I take my major theoretical
orientation from Benjamin.

I have experience as a teaching assistant and a part-time lecturer, both in
classes focusing on theory and production.  In my spare time I enjoy long
walks on the beach, restoring 15th century Danish furniture, and playing
tennis with my cat.

Anyway, based on the above interests and my background, I was wondering if
any of you might be able to point me in the direction of a program that you
might suspect would suit me.  Using the screen site as a starting point I've
already begun my search, but I figured that as you all would be bound to
have valuable insight into the what's out there.

Any feedback would greatly appreciated!  Thanks for your time,

Max Dawson
School of Media and Communications
University of New South Wales
Sydney, Australia