SCREEN-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Lisa Kernan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:25:02 -0800
A recent book that should fit the bill is:
Lee, Hyangjin. Contemporary Korean Cinema: Identity, Culture, and
Politics / Hyangjin Lee.  Manchester; New York : Manchester University
Press; New York : Distributed exclusively in the USA by Palgrave, 2000.

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:40:24 -0800 Leslie Kay Swigart
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Screen-L'ers:
>
> I am trying to assist a student who emailed a request:  "I am writing
> about Im Kwon-Taek and I would like to support that he uses film
> as cultural preservation and social criticism. Can you recommend a
good > academic book that contains film theory with cultural/socia
issue?" >
> So, my question is:  What books (or articles) would you suggest that
> *best* deal with these issues, either in general, or with Korean
film, > or with Im Kwon-Taek specificially?
> > I will be showing the student to the use of _FIlm Literature Index_
and > _International Index to Film Periodicals_ to conduct a literature
review > and how to find the materials in our library or outside of it,
but I > need your advice (not being a theorist myself) as to the
particular > critics or works best suited. > > Thanks!
> > Leslie Kay > > --
> Leslie Kay Swigart, Librarian > University Library, California State
University, Long Beach > 1250 Bellflower Boulevard, Long Beach,
California, USA 90840-1901 > Voice: 562-985-8327   FAX: 562-985-1703
Email: [log in to unmask] > > ---- > For past messages, visit the
Screen-L Archives: > http://bama.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html

Lisa D. Kernan, Ph.D. Arts Librarian for Film, Television and Theater
[log in to unmask] (310) 206-4823