SCREEN-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:56:43 EST
April 5, 2003

To: American West and Film Enthusiasts and Scholars

From: Peter C. Rollins,  Film & History

Subj:  Papers culled for publication in the next two issues of Film & History

    Below listed are the articles for our special issues on "The American
West in Film, Television, and History."  Many film scholars will be delighted
to see these resources.

If these articles draw your eye, please subscribe to Film & History.
Our web site has all the information you need; if you use PayPal, you
can even subscribe electronically.  Also, tell your library to subscribe so
that your students can use this wonderful resource.  We even have back SETS
of Film & History and can get to the library from 1970 to the present!

    Finally, please start planning for our next conference in the fall of
2004-yes, 2004.  Topic is "War in Film, Television, and History" and
the event will be in early November (as per our last meeting).  We are still
negotiating with a special site, but have not yet signed a contract.   The
next issue of Film & History will have essential information and tell your
fellow film scholars about this forum.

    If  you like film or history, you will love Film & History!

Peter Rollins
web site for Film&History is www.filmandhistory.org
  (Can subscribe via this  web site.)

FILM & HISTORY 33.1  (2003)
[Approximate date of publication: April 30, 2003]

Topic: THE AMERICAN WEST IN FILM, TELEVISION, AND HISTORY (Part 1)

Introduction by Peter  C. Rollins

Special issue introduction by Deborah Carmichael

Jennifer Smyth
"Cimarron: The New Western History in 1931"
Yale University

Joanna Hearne
"The 'Ache for Home" in Anthony Mann's Devil Doorway"
University of Arizona

Matthew J. Costello
"Rewriting High Noon: Transformation in American Popular Culture During the
Cold War"
Saint Xavier University-Chicago

Loren Quiring
"Dead Men Walking: Consumption and Agency in the Western"
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

Alexander Keller
"Historical Discourse and American Identity in Westerns since the Reagan
Administration"
Smith College

Book  Reviews:  Ed. Robert J. Fyne, Kean  University of New Jersey

Film Reviews: Ed. Robert Sickels, Whitman College

FILM & HISTORY 33.2  (2003)
[Approximate date of publication: September, 2003]

Topic: THE AMERICAN WEST IN FILM, TELEVISION, AND HISTORY (Part 2)

Introduction by Peter  C. Rollins

Special issue introduction by Deborah Carmichael

Winona Howe
"Professional Women-Women in The Professionals"
LaSierra University

Kimberly Sultze
"Rewriting the West as Multi-Cultural: Legend Meets Complex Histories in la
Frontera in John Sayles' Lone Star (1996)
Saint Michael's College

Matthew R. Turner
"Cowboys and Comedy: The Simultaneous Deconstruction and Reinforcement of
Generic Conventions in the Western Parody"
Ohio University

Barry Langford
"The 'Revisionist' Western-Revised"
University of London

David Pierson
"Turner Network Television's Made-for-TV Western Films and the Social
Construction of Authenticity"
University of Southern Maine

Book  Reviews:  Ed. Robert J. Fyne, Kean  University of New Jersey

Film Reviews: Ed. Robert Sickels, Whitman College

See web site for details:  <A HREF="www.filmandhistory.org">www.filmandhistory.org</A>

or contact