SCREEN-L Archives

March 2003, Week 5

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:19:17 -0500
The Legend of Boggy Creek
Ju Jin Yuki Otoko (Half Human, an extremely bad American re-dit, will have
to suffice, as an Ainu lobby has kept Toho from releasing it, much like the
NAACP has convinced Disney not to release Song of the South for any home
format in the U.S.; with this film, it's much more ridiculous since the
people in the film don't bear much resmeblance to Ainu, and they aren't said
to be Ainu, either.  The Kenneth G. Crane cut (with John Carradine, Russell
Thorson, and Morris Ankrum added in) is EXTREMLY bad, though.)

I'm sure there are others, but these are the only ones not mentioned that
come to mind.

Half Human: The Story of the Abominable Snowman (1957)
User Comments:

Scott A. Hutchins([log in to unmask])
Indianapolis, USA

Date: 18 January 2000
It is a very unfortunate thing that Toho has decided to pull _Jū jin yuki
otoko_ from its catalog based on Ainu lobbyists. Had Akira Ifukube scored
the film, rather than Masaru Sato, he might have said something against it
because he lived among the Ainu and knew the culture presented in this film
bears little resemblance to the Ainu.

Instead, we are left with this badly edited mess because an American
producer got his hands on it, and inserted scenes with American actors that
give away the story before we can actually be shown it. Ostensibly this
footage was shot to increase Americans' interest in the Japanese production.
Instead it brings the action screeching to a halt and we are given glimpses
of what is obviously a much better film, with one of the most convincing
yet-teh costumes of all time. The older one has a very lifelike face that is
showing signs of balding.

Because of Toho's quarantine on the original film, one has to sit through a
lot of drek to have any film at all, since the 98 minute film runs 63
minutes in this version, even after all the boring footage was added. The
sound quality is poor as well, and all (or most) of Masaru Sato's score as
been replaced with library music. It's too short to fast-forward through all
the nonsense and too dull to sit through it.

The only redeeming element of the film are the exquisite Japanese scenes
that we hear John Carradine talking over. This film is utterly ruined,
thereby demonstrating Gresham's law. The good version is unavailable, and
only the bad version can be seen.

Scott Andrew Hutchins

Examine The Life of Timon of Athens at Cracks in the Fourth Wall
Theatre & Filmworks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scottandrewh

"But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust and
stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice
and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we
*must* stand fast a little--even at the risk of being heroes." --Sir Thomas
More, _A Man for All Seasons_, by Robert Bolt