SCREEN-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Tim Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:41:39 -0500
Morten,

    The area of film studies to which you refer is often generally called
"image studies", since obviously there is no exact science in cinematic
representation.  There have been numerous books on the "image of" various
social groups, although many of these studies are challenged by the
complexity of issues in representation (e.g., politics, psychology, and
history, just to name a few).  I've recently published a book on the image
of youth in contemporary American cinema, "Generation Multiplex", in which I
tried to grapple with the methodological dilemma of labeling and studying
teen images while at the same time examining films about fictional teens.
In my first chapter I discuss some of these methodological issues which, by
the way, often intersect with genre studies.

    You'd do well to search for books on certain groups in film and see how
they handle the sociological aspect of the issue.  I think you might find
the most voluminous literature in women's representation, and then in racial
representation.  Best wishes--

    Timothy Shary

Dr. Timothy Shary
Assistant Professor of Screen Studies