SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:00:43 -0500
>>. Most of us are sensible to the surprising
>>  resurgence [laugh] of the male gaze in visual media.

>> I for one am bored and intellectually astonished at the frequently
obscene,
>> let alone sexist, portrayals of women, their lives, and their actuality
in
>> media.

the propensity of mass culture and mass media to
see/portray women as "essentially" sexual, hardly
needs to be argued . . . and this tendency is, as
susanna suggests, very much having a "resurgence"

. . . still, this does not necessarily entail the corollary
claim that the instruments of sexism are themselves
gendered male and inherently [if not "essentially"]
sexist . . . even though some tools or instruments
seems predisposed to lead in certain specific
directions [e.g., the apparatus of television seems
to entail different cultural formations than the
apparently similar apparatus of cinema] it surely
remains possible to appropriate a single apparatus
or mechanism for radically different purposes . . . the
fact that the camera has been appropriated for
sexist purposes may say much more about access
to money and other resources [including cameras,
film, support systems, etc.]  than about anything
inherent in cameras themselves

mike