SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

From:
BARBARA BAKER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:41:55 -0600
I donīt know if this will get through, since I am temporarily teaching in Mexico, and my e-mail has been unreliable.

Although I donīt think she discusses film cameras per se, Lana Rakow has done work on the gendering of technology.  There may be other work in communication studies on such things as the internet, etc.  This might point you in a useful direction.

Unfortunately, I canīt remember the name of Rakowīs book, or her articles, and donīt have those citations with me, but Iīm sure you can find them.

Sincerely,
Barbara L.Baker, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO. 64093
Temporarily at Tec de Monterrey
Campus Estado de Mexico
Atizapan de Zaragoza, Mexico
[log in to unmask] (through May)

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/24/03 11:34 AM >>>
Does anyone know of studies that address the gendering of film
technology, such as cameras?  I'm familiar with work like this in
popular music (particularly on the electric guitar), but other than
Mulvey's discussion of the camera's male gaze, I don't know of anyone
who has specifically addressed filmmaking equipment as masculine and
how this might contribute to females' reluctance to get involved in
film production.

Any references on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

mary

Mary Celeste Kearney
Assistant Professor